Monday, November 30, 2015

6th Graders Learn about Digital Citizenry and Blogging



One of the coolest things I get to do everyday is pop into classrooms and check out what students are learning. On a recent November afternoon, I had the pleasure of watching a co-taught lesson from Ms. Spohn, our 6th grade writing teacher, and Ms. Hohman, our digital teacher librarian. Students learned how to respond to blogs in a way that promoted good digital citizenship and left only a positive digital footprint. 

What is a digital footprint? Here are some responses from 6th graders:


Student 1: I think it’s something that you leave behind.
Ms. Hohman: Where?
Student 1: Online.
Student 2: Even if you delete it, it will still be there.
Student 3: Whatever you do online doesn’t go away.
Student 4: You don’t want to be a cyberbully.
Ms. Hohman: What happens when you’re 16 and apply for a job, say at Starbucks? What can the manager do?
Student 5: They can Google your name.
Student 6: Yea, and if something bad comes up, they won't hire you.

I think our students are off to a great start!

Nov 18, 2015 1:47:13 PM.jpg
6th graders are commenting on my blog posts during a recent lesson on digital citizenship.


7 comments:

  1. I enjoy that you gave an example to prove (in a way) that this actually is happening. You actually used alteast 2 examples; the picture and the students words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put students "words" on your post. What do you think inspired you to write/blog this post? I also enjoy how you decribed what you saw happening in the classroom that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you put students answers on your post because it shows what we're learning. What would be your reply to what a digital footprint is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how tou put what the other students and teachers:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are great comments! Thanks Paigee, Jenna#swim:), H_Moskowitz, and B.frank for your feedback! When I work with teachers, I like to use as many examples as possible to help them improve their practice and I figured students and families would appreciate that same approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your blogs about the school there relly great but have you seen our blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen your blogs, but would be very interested in checking them out. Where can I find them?

    ReplyDelete